Popping a pill is not the only way to go about catching sleep. Why addict your body to something that you cannot live without when there are alternatives to falling asleep quicker, as recommended by experts?
- Insomnia is an affliction that, according to NeurologyIndia, affects at least 30% of the population
- Causes include anything from medications and mental disorders to the consumption of alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine at the wrong hours of the day/night
- There are proven ways to sleep faster and get a good night’s rest while you’re at it
Tips For Falling Asleep Quicker, According To Sleep Experts!
Below are a few effective tips to help you summon the Sandman. We have drawn some top picks from SleepHealthSolutionsOhio for you.
A New Mattress
As unconventional as this may sound, the right mattress can and will make a difference.
- The quality of your sleep depends on the age of your mattress. Anything over seven years is a no-go and needs to be changed if you want to sleep a few minutes after your head hits the pillow
- Firm mattresses promote sleep. Saggy or lumpy ones deny them
- Alignment is crucial to preventing neck and backaches, which can further ruin sleep
- Observe your sleeping position and get the right bed and pillow combination to complement it. Increase sleep hormones, Melatonin tells your body to sleep and being around much bright light before bed can affect your sleep.
Yet another ‘obvious’ idea is to shut off all your electronics near bedtime.
- Televisions, tabs, mobile phones, computers, laptops, gaming consoles… Turn them all off an hour or more before bed
- More than eliminating distractions, this idea is advised by experts to keep ‘blue light’ exuded by electronics from affecting your natural circadian rhythm
- This blue light also affects melatonin levels in the body
- Reading a book is a highly recommended alternative.
A Warm Bath
This has proven time and again to help several different people suffering from poor sleep.
- Body temperature plays a significant role in enabling sleep
- A hot shower will do wonders in this regard. By extension, this also means your room needs to be maintained at a lower temperature
- A cold room and a warm body work in tandem to help you sleep faster at night
- Warm water baths also serve to relax the muscles in your body.
No Alcohol or Smoking
As strange as it may sound, alcohol does not help with sleep; in fact, it actively hinders it.
- While smoking has proven to boost focus for short periods, it certainly works against ensuring quick sleep
- With alcohol, your sleep pattern gets routinely affected while you’re in bed
- The disruption in sleep is internal and doesn’t particularly have anything to do with you waking up in the middle of the night to use the restroom.
- People feel rested in the morning thanks to a good REM phase during sleep. Alcohol directly affects this
- What you need are tranquil antioxidants, which are abundant in beverages like chamomile tea. By lowering subconscious anxiety levels, you find sleep faster and more efficiently.
Most people may be unaware of this technique to induce sleep at night.
- Granted, listening to relaxing music can help, but have you tried white noise?
- White noise helps you sleep longer and wake up less frequently. How? By drowning out all the noises that you might usually hear at night that makes you sit up in bed, white noise promotes sleep better than music
- It serves the same role as ambient sounds, which create a harmonious and relaxing atmosphere, perfect for sleep.
Stress – The Sleep-Killer
Aside from following the tips mentioned above, it would help if you took time off to de-stress. There is no point in being stressed and expecting sleep to come quickly, even relying on the above techniques.
- Yoga has proven to help at least 80% of people lose stress, and 55% sleep better because of it
- Controlled breathing patterns, like the ones taught in Yoga, in combination with select body positions, help you physically shed tension
- This is precisely why meditating before bed is a great way to sleep soon, with little to no tossing and turning
- Added advantages of Yoga and meditation are reduced depression, lower blood pressure, pain relief, less anxiety. Check out our Resurge review to discover the most legit deep sleep pills.
Good Food = Good Sleep
This is a no-brainer idea that should technically be your first step in the pursuit of swift sleep.
- A healthy balanced diet (vitamins, minerals, proteins, carbs) helps your body sleep ideally
- Spicy food before bed is a terrible idea. The same can be said of heavy foods, and bites/snacks containing too much sugar.
While eating two hours before bedtime has helped some people, this is not a hard verified tip worth following. Instead, stick to a proper healthy diet and avoid smoking and alcohol before bed.
It would help if you also considered meditation and yoga routines, starting right now. Your mind, as well as your body, needs to be stress-free if you are to catch sleep at all.
Sleeping as fast as possible, but you need to put in some time and effort to re-program yourself. Self-love is the quickest way to speedy sleep.