What Is Onychoschizia Or Splitting Of Fingernails?- have you ever gone through this question? The splitting of fingernails in adults is known as Onychoschizia. This is also called lamellar dystrophy.
What Is Onychoschizia Or Splitting Of Fingernails: About Nails You Need To Know!
Nail splitting more often comes with onychorrhexis i.e., longitudinal splitting or the nail plate gets ridged – a combination of these 2 diseases are known as brittle nail syndrome.
Causes of Onychoschizia: –
- Frequent washing – Frequent washing of hands or getting your hands wet often leads to nail splitting, which is why this issue is mostly seen with people who do indoor cleaning activities, or hairdressers or hospital nurses as they often wash their hands time to time.
- Nail Cosmetics – Another reason for nail splitting is the excessive use of cosmetics on the nail like the polish, nail pain removers or solvents and hardeners as well. People getting nail procedures done time to time are exposed to various acids, cements sugar solutions and thioglycolates which all in large quantities are bad for the skin.
- Physical Injury – Physical injury can also lead to Onychoschizia.
- Medical conditions – Many a times brittle nails are observed in people who have medical conditions like malnutrition, tuberculosis, some gland diseases and Sjogren syndrome.
Signs and Symptoms: –
- Check the fingernail and toe nail regularly – Nail splitting is most common on finger nails and toe nails and will appear as a horizontal split between the nails or right in the centre of the nail plate.
- Vitamin A users – Onychoschizia is most often seen on people who consume vitamin A medications for some other disease or for the patients who suffer from lichen planus or with psoriasis.
Home remedies for Onychoschizia: –
- Coconut Oil – Coconut oil is better for both your insides of the body and for your outside body as well as this provides good natural moisturiser which helps to make the brittle nails strong and helps in nurturing them. You should take 1 – 2 teaspoons of the coconut oil and make it warm and make sure its not boiled. Take the warm coconut oil and massage it for 5 mins on your affected nail. This will greatly help in restoring your brittle nail.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Another best home remedy is the user of Apple Cider Vinegar. This contains high and essential nutrients like magnesium, iron, vitamins and minerals in large quantities. This also has antifungal and antiseptic properties which helps the brittle nail grow back. You should take equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water in a bowl and soak your nail in it for a few mins. Repeat this process once daily for a week and you will see the changes in your nail.
- Tea Tree Oil – Tea tree oil has very high antiseptic properties which fights of all the unwanted materials on the brittle nail. Take one spoon of tea tree oil and one spoon of vitamin E oil and mix both of them very well and apply on the affected toe nail for 20 mins. You need to do this for a month ad twice daily to observe the results and this works as a moistening cream as well for the affected area.
- Lemon Juice – One of the most effective things against brittle nails is the application of lemon juice. For many people this might burn as this contains high amounts of anti-septic agents and there might be many bacteria`s and fugus in between the cracks of the nails. One should take 3 – 4 tablespoons of lemon juice and mix it with olive oil and heat it gently. Apply this on your nail and let it be for an overnight. The changes will be visible in a span of 2 weeks if applied daily.
- Sea Salt – Another best home remedy for brittle nails is the usage of sea salts. Sea salts should be added with few drops of lemon juice and water and you need to submerge your nail into it and keep it there for 15 mins. Do this 3 to 4 times a week and slowly you will see the results.
Onychoschizia is not a major issue, but it gets worse if the cracks get filled with bacteria and fungus, One should visit a doctor or a health care professional if there is a pain to too much irritation on the nail.