As you know that covid-19 is one of the biggest pandemics on the earth right now, and it has greatly affected our lives. Earlier it was said that the children are not affected by this deadly virus, but now there is so much evidence that has been seen that there is a risk of persisting symptoms or which can be called the COVID.
Long COVID And Children – What Are The Precautions To Be Taken By Parents?
The national statistics have estimated that almost 13% to 15% of the children infected by COVID-19 have symptoms that persist for more than five weeks.
The research done in Italy has shown that the more than 50% of the children who suffer from the covid face at least one symptom for over 17 weeks even after getting diagnosed for it and testing negative for covid. The guidance of the long covid in children has been issued, but there are so many people who are not aware of it.
For how much time the long covid affect the children?
Well, the exact time is not clear for it, but the research on the long covid for children consists of symptoms which are of a long list. In the Italian study, the signs which were often found in the adults were fatigue, joint pain, headache, insomnia, breathing issues, heartbeat problems are now also found in the children too.
You need to know that some of the children develop the symptoms of long covid when they immediately get in touch with the virus.
According to the international paper for some children, it can also be developed at the end of the mild infection, and this will be the beginning of the long covid. It has also been stated that the covid 19 can also lead to long-term effects in the children who even have minimal symptoms of covid.
A brief guide for the parents as well as teachers of the children!
- The covid pandemic has affected children and young people also in so many ways. Some of the children have missed a year of their school. The mental state and wellbeing of the child have also suffered a lot due to covid. During covid 19, children were not able to do any physical activity and the fitness which have also led to the health risk also.
- You will be shocked to know that the fear of the future has also affected the health of children and adults. So, it is advised to the parents that they should not push the children who have the long COVID for doing too much of anything like exercise. If you believe that your child is suffering from the long COVID, then you should keep notes of the symptoms which they are suffering from and the patterns as well. You can then also consult with the medical practitioners.
- The one thing that should be noted is that the long covid should be considered as a kind of disability of which the duration is uncertain, and it can take months to last. The long covid is also capable of causing a lot of physical symptoms too which may also lead to an increase in the school absence. Some neurocognitive effects like the trouble in processing the information, lower memory, and difficulty in speech are also some of the things which can affect the academic progress of the children.
- So, because of these long covid symptoms, the children need to be required of the personalized timetables. In this timetable, remote learning can be included as well the time for taking a nap should also be included. The parents are teachers advised to observe and support the children in their PE lesson in a modified way so that you can take account of the fatigue. The one thing that you need to know is that no one solution is made to fit all the children, so you should observe that which one is best for your child.
- Along with the parents, the school is also required to provide support to the families. This is because the parents might face some struggle to manage the child who is suffering from long covid. The children’s symptoms can also fluctuate and get diverse, and they can appear for a long period of time even after testing negative for the coronavirus infection.