Being fit and fabulous should be the ultimate mantra of life irrespective of your age. Aged men and women are more prone to suffer from heart disease. According to a scientific study, four out of five people who suffer from coronary heart disease are usually 65 or older.
Common Heart Diseases And How Do You Prevent Them?
As you grow old, it is of paramount importance that you go for regular health checkups and keep an eye on the risk factors. In this article, you will know more about what happens to your heart as you age and how you can prevent some of the most common heart diseases men and women at the age of 50 suffer from.
What Happens to Your Heart As You Age?
Your blood vessels grow older with you. With reduced flexibility of vessels, your blood finds it challenging to move through easily. Another reason for the blood flow from the heart being slow is the presence of fatty deposits named plaques. What further adds to it are lack of exercise and healthy food habits. Other risk factors such as diabetes, smoking, and blood pressure make your heart condition even worse.
What Are The Most Common Heart Diseases At The Age of 50?
Some of the most common diseases that men and women above the age 50 suffer from include:
- Arteriosclerosis: Arteriosclerosis happens when the stiffness of the large arteries increase significantly. Many suffer from high blood pressure because of this.
- Atherosclerosis: Many men and women also suffer from atherosclerosis as they age. This happens because of the plaque being built up in the arteries. Narrow arteries prevent oxygen and nutrients from reaching the heart. Once the heart muscle starts getting weaker because of all these reasons, you become more prone to suffering from heart failure.
- Arrhythmias: One of the most important age related heart diseases include Arrhythmias i.e slow and irregular heartbeat. This happens to those who have thicker and stiffer valves. This may lead fluid building up in your lungs or other body parts as well.
- Increased Heart Chamber: People above the age of 50 often suffer from increased heart size as well. Since the heart wall thickens, chambers are able to hold less amount of blood despite increased size of the chamber. People having such conditions can also suffer from atrial fibrillation.
How Do You Prevent These Heart Diseases?
Preventing heart diseases is easier than you think. With moderate physical activities and lifestyle modifications, you can easily avoid all the risks. Here are some of the activities that you can do regularly:
- Physical Activity: In order to be able to prevent heart disease, you should be doing physical activities regularly. For example, you can start with brisk walking for 30-45 minutes every day. In addition, you can also go for dancing, bicycling, or even gardening.
- Quit Smoking: Even if you have been a smoker throughout your life, it is time to quit the habit. Smoking damages artery walls to a significant extent. It also increases the chances of stroke and cancer as well.
- Heart-healthy Diet: As you grow old, you should be consuming a diet that is healthy for your heart. Consider having foods that have low amounts of trans and saturated fats, salt, and added sugars. In addition, make sure that you eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Maintaining Weight: It is absolutely essential that you balance the calorie intake with physical activities. Many men and women do this by limiting their portion size and engaging in physical activity.
- Stress management: If you are taking too much stress even in your 50s, your body is not going to respond well. So, you must learn to manage stress either by meditating or by being engaged in physical activities.
- Limited Alcohol: Once you celebrate your 50th birthday, you should start being careful about how much alcohol you are consuming. Men should ideally limit their drinks to two per day and women one.
Staying physically active and eating healthy meals can help you to prevent heart diseases to a significant extent. Once you adopt the heart-healthy lifestyle, chances are less that you will be suffering from heart disease. Begin the transformation early to stay on top of your overall well being!